Sunday 25 September 2011

Avalon Lakes Glastonbury.

Avalon Charity Match.
Sunday 25th September.
Peg 17.
The match today was in aid of the Macmillan Cancer Support Group run by Andy Gurd a.k.a The Jacket who got his name for wearing fluorescent yellow site jacket fishing.
I enjoy fishing Avalon as the fish do not give them self up easily but it one of the few venues with an island about 30 metres which makes it perfect for a waggler approach.
24 people fishing today so peg 1 to 33 were used I was last but one to draw and pick peg 17 end of the 5th island with the wind blow up the lake I had sheltered water off the point of the island.
Waggler/lead (not used) /paste 14 metres(not used) / 5 metres meat line and a margin were set up everything was sorted for the all in where I fed the long pole line with pellets and fired some 8mm to the island which was followed by a dumpy waggler set 2 feet deep. In the first 15 minutes I put 3 Carp in the net for 18lb during the first hour I had 4 Carp and lost 5 others probably foul  with no one really catching that I could see and the wind picking up I decide to stick on the waggler. Time seems to fly by as I end up fishing it for 2 more hours but not put any more fish in the net but still have signs of fish over there and just as you’ve had your fill of it you hook a carp and lose it.
Disaster strikes as I hook a branch and pull for break losing the wag and leaving branch striking out from the bank and like a magnet I hook it on another 3 occasions and waste about ¾ hour resetting up.
Time to try somewhere else it 2 windy to hold 14 metres leaving the 5 metre meat swim I didn’t hold much hope for this swim as I’ve fed this line in the past and never had a bite but still I religiously fed it from the start every time I fed the wag line. First drop on the meat I shocked when the float goes under but somehow miss it. Over the next hour catching skimmer up to a 1 1/2 lb not quickly but steady.
Going into the last hour I try to force the meat line by increasing the fed rate and the swim dies so down the margin with double corn miss a bite then hook and lose a Carp which trashes the rig.
Back out at 5 metres the extra fed has put the skimmer of but 2 carp are caught and in the last 10 minutes the skimmers return then the whistle goes the scales arrive and I have 11lb 13oz Silvers and 32lb 6oz of carp 44lb 3oz total for another section default pick up £30.00.
A lot of fish had been caught on worm today which has never happen before with Eric Fouracres winning the silvers 40lb 2oz on Chop worm and Caster a bait I did not have due to it never working and Vic Bush (the owner) trying to make it work on numerous occasion to no avail and he import worms from Holland to sell throughout the south West.
 Overall.
1st. Chris Derrick         peg 26          80-06-00. Paste edge/waggler.
2nd . Eric Fourachres peg 11        79-10-00. Chop worm caster 13 metres.
3rd. Bryan Clark.       peg 14           62-00-00. Feeder.
4th. Mike Walker.      Peg 6             58-05-00 ?
Silvers.
1st. Eric Fourachres  peg 11          40-02-00. Chop worm.
2nd. Paul Smith            peg 30.      21-12-00. Chop worm.
3rd. Vic Bush                 peg 32.      13-01-00. Chop worm.
4th. Clayton Hudson. Peg 17.        11-13-00. Meat.
According to Andy Gurd over £2000.00 was rasised for Macmillan Cancer Support Group today and he want to run one every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment